5.17.2005

Beautiful Mud

After wanting terribly to forget the first two races of the season, we headed out Sunday to Whidbey Island for the "Mudder" race. I was determined to race as hard as I could and somehow still manage to have fun. The course was set on this guys private property and was a 2 mile loop that zig-zagged through 10 acres of forest. Apparently the guy races moto, (dirt bikes), and the trails were nicely banked in spots, tight, twisty, and yes, muddy. The course description stated that it was very technical, which to me means rock gardens, lots of logs and roots, boulders, and steep descents. This trail was none of that. If you could keep your pedals moving through all the turns then you were good to go on a beautifully flowing ride that honestly would make you dizzy if you weren't careful to watch up the trail a ways up. Kinda like if you spin yourself around and your head is following instead of leading, then you end up on the ground ready to throw up. It's a technique dancers use for turns.

Anyway, the race format was a set ride time instead of a set amount of laps. Originally, we were suppose to race for 2 hours then get the bell lap and do one more. I went on Saturday to pre-ride and they had cut the time back to an hour and 45 min. and by the time we made it to the start line the time was an hour plus one lap. Fine with me.

Most of the trail was in really good shape except for one section that literally was about 30 yards of 2 feet deep mud. Here's how it went down..., you ride through a drainage ditch filled with water, then jump off your bike and run it through the knee deep mud hoping not to lose your shoes, jump back on your bike and try to clear the mud from your cleats and get clipped back in before getting run down by the Pro/Open guys that are lapping you. Yeee-haaaa! Everyone was having a blast. There was not the usual bickering on the trail and everyone was positive and encouraging. The trail was so tight in places that you could hear riders cheering each other on all over the course. Picture a maze where you are going in one direction and on the other side of the wall, there are people in the same spot going the opposite direction. This gave lots of opportunity for conversation and camaraderie amongst the racers.

I did have one really good crash on the second lap. A large rock appeared out of nowhere and stopped me dead in my tracks. Momentum propelled me over the front of the bike landing me square on the top of my head. Luckily, it was a slow speed crash and after extricating myself out from under my bike, I was able to shake it off and keep going. I think I need a new helmet as the foam is showing signs of compression. The thing I can't figure out is how I never noticed that rock during the pre-ride or on the first lap. That is the joy of Mountain Biking - every lap can be a totally new experience, even when you know the trail well.

So, how did it all turn out? Well, I'm not really sure. When I came in, the score keeper told me I was in second place, but that can't be right. The girl in front of me apparently failed to get checked in by the score dude and did not get her last lap recorded. I'm sure they ended up figuring it out and that would put me in 3rd place - out of 3. But, that's o.k. with me. I had so much fun and I picked up 3rd place points for the series, which is great. There was also some confusion about when the racers should stop racing and how they were actually placing riders. Everyone had their own version of how it was working. Some told us that once the first rider came through in your class, then you were done when you came through the finish area, which makes no sense to me because I got lapped by Anna Knapp, (a world class pro rider, so I don't feel bad about being lapped), and would have come in first if I'd stopped when she finished. Instead, I did one more lap because that's what made sense to me at the time. Scott assures me that in timed races like these, it doesn't matter how many laps you do, it just matters where you are on the course when the leader finishes. Weird. I guess this is how Crits work on the road, though I really don't understand it. The results won't be posted for another few days due to all the confusion, so I don't really know how we all did.

Placing and points aside, it was a great day. There was so much mud, it took me a good two hours to clean my bike. Everyone had huge mud covered smiles on their faces coming through the finish line. One guy in bright yellow baggies and a bright yellow jersey, grabbed my hand and shook it furiously while congratulating me on a race well run. He was so happy that I couldn't help feeling his enthusiasm. That guy was a kick in the pants, talking a hundred miles an hour about what a great time he had out there. And really, that's what it's all about. If you win or lose and don't have the time of your life, then what's the point?

No comments: