5.05.2005

RIDE YOUR BIKE

It's Bike to Work Month and I keep dropping money in my gas tank like I'm Donald Trump or something. What's wrong with me? Has anyone noticed more bikes on the road or is this Bike to Work thing like the Turn Off the TV thing? Everyone on the fringe knows about it and the people, (the masses), who could really make a difference don't give a shit? And why is there only one month dedicated to biking to work? And what about April being Earth Month? Are attention spans so short that a month out of the year is all we can collectively muster up the energy for? Very sad if you ask me. I'm riding to work tomorrow, come hell or high water. Given a choice, hell would be better than high water 'cause Scott will kill me if he has to rebuild my hubs and water has a way a killing hubs.

Bike culture is a funny thing. I get made fun of all the time for coming into work all out of breath, sweaty, bugs in my teeth, and grinning like a mad woman. Yesterday, one of my partners painted a very humorous picture of me rolling into work being 8 months pregnant with my water bottle strapped to a bulging tummy because that's the only place to put it where I could actually reach it. Yikes! I'm NEVER having kids.

I really can't complain though. My commute to work is a fabulous ride. I've got two routes to choose from. The one I really like is perfect for my 1X1 and goes through some very nice trails. I encountered black bears once on my way home a couple of winters back. Cool, if somewhat suppressing to see two bear butts trotting down the trail in front of me. The adventure of riding to work really does out weigh the extra time and energy it takes to do it. It's never the same ride twice and we are so lucky to live in a place that is not completely covered in cement.

So, take a few extra minutes, plan ahead, fill up your Camel Bak, saddle up, and enjoy the ride! If not now, then when? If not you, then who?

No comments: