11.24.2008

'Cross Update

I said I'd let you know how the next few 'cross races went and if I had been bitten by the bug yet... My second race was a total disaster. We showed up 15 minutes before my start time and I barely had enough time to get dressed, let alone warm up. Not a good idea... I ended up 13th out of 14. Not an encouraging result. Worse is that I truly hated it. I was shouting curses through one part of the course (apparently that didn't go over too well because I'm still hearing about it - you know there are little kids out there) but I did finish and can say I'm 13th in the state of Washington in the Cat 4 group. Like I said, not a great result.

This last race was a whole other story. The course was a bike handlers dream and those with out the skills really struggled. I, however, actually managed to have a good time. Cutting girls off in the bermed turns and choosing the inside lines instead of the outside lines to make quick work of the twisty course was a lot of fun. I didn't feel like I was going to die the whole time and since I skipped breakfast, I didn't feel like throwing up for the first 2 laps. All in all, a pretty good race. Not to mention I came in 5th place out of almost 30 girls. A better result... Of course it's 5th place in the Cat 4's. Certainly nothing to write home about.

There are only 2 more races we have planned to attend, so the season will be over before I have the chance to completely fall head over heels for 'cross. From here we get to start thinking about the mountain bike season. Fun.

No comments: