11.03.2008

I'm a Little Cross



I have a bad habit of trying new things. When I turned 30, I decided I'd try racing mountain bikes. It was great and I have spent almost every summer since then racing my mt. bike.

Sunday was my first ever cyclocross race. 30 minutes of sprinting in the mud. It rained and it was cold and we were all a mess. Doc asked me if I had a great time. I think my response was something like, "It was miserable." Then he asked me again... I changed my response this time to, "Yeah! It was the best thing ever." It wasn't. Not by a long shot.

I have to wonder about people who LOVE 'cross. Here are the things I've come up with so far that is wrong with this silly discipline:

1. If I wanted to go to the park, I'd leave my bike in the car.
2. Freezing to death is not my first choice in ways to expire.
3. Getting off the bike and running is silly.
4. 30 minute race? Why bother?
5. Slogging through 4 inches of mud for 1/4 mile is no way to spend a nice Sunday.
6. Spraying the mud off your legs and backside with a cold hose after the race is truly awful.

I'm sure there's more... Perhaps I will list them next time.

OK! Yes, there will be a next time. I never said I was done racing 'cross. I just said it was silly.

No comments: