1.02.2010

Future

Happy 2010! We all know this is the time of the year when we are determined to turn over new leaves, break bad habits, practice good ones and finally live the lives we imagine in our dreams. It's the time of year when "should- have's" become "will-do's". For me it's also that time of year when I start pondering the impending race season.

This year, I'd like to add some more 24 hour races. And not suck at them. With the Cream Puff under my belt, I feel free to start exploring the possibility of solo 24 hour races and multi-stage racing. Finding balance in the schedule to 'train' and actually get to race day somewhat prepared would be kind of fun. I, also, would like Scotty to stop hounding me about how I make everybody mad with my non-training laziness but then still manage to make a decent showing at the races.

I suppose there is something to his logic but I don't much like it. I am getting to the age where my past athletic achievements won't serve me as they once did. So this year, I'm going to make an effort to get some base training in and have some fun kicking some butt in the spring and summer.

Wish me luck!
And the best of luck to you in whatever your goals are for 2010!

3 comments:

Dan O said...

You're lucky to pull that stuff off with little training.

I need to train, if you can call it that, just to be really slow. Barely hanging on to the back of the Sport class slow.

Still, compared to the average Joe - I feel like Superman. That's what's cool about bikes - well, one of the many things anyway.

Merce said...

Hey Dan! I hate to call it training... makes it sound like dieting, which is terrible.

I'm envious that you feel like Superman. I always feel like I should have tried harder, should have ridden more, should have gotten more sleep, should have eaten better, should have done something I clearly didn't do...

I suppose that's what I get for buying into Scotty's line of "If you're going to race, you might as well win."

Dan O said...

Yeah - I just call it "riding", training sounds too serious - that I'm not.

As far racing goes - I have the mentality, but not the ability. It's enough for me to give it a shot, have fun, absorb the culture, and feel like Superman (compared to the average dude my age, who gets outta breath looking for the TV remote).

If I was in it to win it, I'd be pretty bummed over the whole experience - as would 99% percent of the field.

What's cool about racing, no matter how fast or slow you are, there's always somebody in front or behind you.

Unless you're truly capable of actually winning the damn thing - which would be awesome on top of awesome.